Fears of public transport chaos in Manchester this weekend have been eased after strike action on bus services in the city was suspended.
Drivers working for Arriva in Manchester had been set to walk out tomorrow (Saturday 30 November) as part of a pay dispute.
However, the strike has now been suspended as members of trade union Unite consider an improved wage offer.
What is the dispute about?
Manchester drivers with Arriva are involved in a much more wide-ranging campaign of industrial action across the North West.
Altogether 2,000 drivers across the region are involved.
Staff across a number of North West depots, including Manchester, resoundingly balloted for strike action over a pay offer.
However, fresh talks were held on Friday 29 November and an improved offer of three per cent has now been made.
Unite is recommending its members accept the wage increase.
What has the trade union said?
Unite regional officer Alison Spencer-Scragg said: “This offer is a welcome step in the right direction. Unite’s members will now decide if it meets their aspirations.”
Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said: “Unite’s members have shown that by standing together in unity management has been obliged to make an improved pay offer.
“Arriva must understand that we remain utterly determined to secure proper and lasting improvements to the pay and conditions of our members.”
What happens next?
Unite is currently balloting its members over the offer of a three per cent wage increase.
If drivers agree to accept it, the industrial dispute with Arriva will be over.
If they reject it, though, a fresh notice for strike action will be served by the trade union.