How many FA Cup finals have Man Utd and Man City won - and who has appeared in the most ahead of 2023 derby?
Manchester United and Manchester City will meet in the 2023 FA Cup final and this is how their histories in the cup compare.
and live on Freeview channel 276
Pep Guardiola's City side cruised past Championship club Sheffield United on Saturday thanks to a Riyad Mahrez hat-trick and booked their place in the final later this year.
Meanwhile, Erik ten Hag's men had a feistier clash with Premier League opposition Brighton. Neither team could break the deadlock at Wembley Stadium on Sunday and the Seagulls blinked first during the penalty shootout as a skied Solly March penalty sent them crashing out.
Manchester United will be looking to secure their second piece of silverware this season when they meet with their noisy neighbours in London come June, having already triumphed at Wembley this year when beating Newcastle United in the Carabao Cup final.
Meanwhile, Manchester City are still in with the chance of completing the treble as they also hunt down Arsenal in the Premier League and prepare for a Champions League semi-final against Real Madrid.
Here's how both sides have fared in FA Cup finals over the years.
Manchester United history in FA Cup finals
Manchester United have played in 20 FA Cup finals since the competition's inception, only Arsenal (21) have appeared in more. The Red Devil's 12 wins is also the second highest in history, with the Gunners having 14.
United last won the FA Cup in 2016 when the side, managed by Louis van Gaal, beat Crystal Palace 2-1 in extra time. It was a dramatic final with Chris Smalling becoming the fourth-ever player to receive a red card in the FA Cup final before a Jesse Lingard screamer secured the win.
United's first-ever cup final was in 1909 when they beat Bristol City 1-0 thanks to a Sandy Turnbull goal.
Here is how Manchester United have fared in all their FA Cup finals:
- 1909 Man Utd 1 - 0 Bristol City
- 1948 Man Utd 4 - 2 Blackpool
- 1957 Aston Villa 2 - 1 Man Utd
- 1958 Bolton 2 - 0 Man Utd
- 1963 Man Utd 3 - 1 Leicester City
- 1976 Southampton 1 -0 Man Utd
- 1977 Man Utd 2 - 1 Liverpool
- 1979 Arsenal 3 - 2 Man Utd
- 1983 Man Utd 4 - 0 Brighton (on replay)
- 1985 Man Utd 1 - 0 Everton
- 1990 Man Utd 1 - 0 Crystal Palace (on replay)
- 1994 Man Utd 4 -0 Chelsea
- 1995 Everton 1 - 0 Man Utd
- 1996 Man Utd 1 - 0 Liverpool
- 1999 Man Utd 2 - 0 Newcastle
- 2004 Man Utd 3 - 0 Millwall
- 2005 Arsenal 0 (5) - 0 (4) Man Utd (on penalties)
- 2007 Chelsea 1 - 0 Man Utd
- 2016 Man Utd 2 - 1 Crystal Palace
- 2018 Chelsea 1 - 0 Man Utd
Manchester City history in FA Cup finals
Manchester City have won six FA Cup trophies over the years having appeared in 11 finals in total.
The side last appeared in a final in 2019 when they ran out convincing winners in a 6-0 drubbing of Watford.
David Silva and Kevin De Bruyne both scored as Gabrial Jesus and Raheem Sterling both grabbed braces in the joint-largest FA Cup final victory in history - tied with Bury's 6-0 win over Deby County in 1903.
The famous win completed a treble for Man City in that year after winning the League Cup and the Premier League.
Here's how Manchester City have fared in all their FA Cup finals:
- 1904 Man City 1 - 0 Bolton
- 1926 Bolton 1 - 0 Man City
- 1933 Everton 3 - 0 Man City
- 1934 Man City 2 - 1 Portsmouth
- 1955 Newcastle United 3 - 1 Man City
- 1956 Man City 3 - 1 Birmingham City
- 1968 Man City 1 - 0 Leicester City
- 1981 Spurs 3 - 2 Man City (on replay)
- 2011 Man City 1 - 0 Stoke
- 2013 Wigan 1 - 0 Man City
- 2019 Man City 6 - 0 Watford