Manchester City ‘not planning’ to replace Ferran Torres following Barcelona move

Pep Guardiola plans to give young players like Cole Palmer a chance instead of splashing the cash in January transfer window.

<p>Ferran Torres of Manchester City during the Carabao Cup Third Round match between Manchester City and Wycombe Wanderers F.C. at Etihad Stadium on September 21, 2021</p>

Ferran Torres of Manchester City during the Carabao Cup Third Round match between Manchester City and Wycombe Wanderers F.C. at Etihad Stadium on September 21, 2021

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola does not plan to sign a striker in the January transfer window despite the club selling Spainish international Ferran Torres to Barcelona, according to reports.

Torres, 21, was allowed to leave the Etihad for £46.3m plus add-ons as he looked to secure more regular first-team football.

The Catalan side were looking for a new forward following the retirement of Manchester City legend Sergio Aguero earlier this month and were able to finance the deal thanks to a bank loan.

It was initially believed that City would enter the transfer market to sign a replacement for Torres with several top names across Europe being linked.

However, it now looks like it will be a quiet window with reports emerging they will instead look to give young players like Cole Palmer more game time.

Here’s what is being said and which players are still being linked despite the reports:

Will Manchester City sign a striker in January?

Manchester City manager Josep Guardiola gestures from the touchline during the Premier League match between Manchester City and Leicester City at Etihad Stadium on December 26, 2021

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has said the club will not look to bring in a new striker in the January transfer window, according to ESPN.

Despite being linked with some of the top stars in Europe, the former Bayern Munich manager wants to give more regular game time to the club’s current crop of young players such as England under-21 international Palmer.

Palmer, 19, has made 10 appearances in all competitions for City this season and scored two goals.

However, only four of those appearances have come in the Premier League and three were as a substitute.

Who have Manchester City been linked with in the January transfer window?

As is the case with most transfer windows, there have been no shortage of big names layers linked with a move to City.

England captain Harry Kane and Norwegian hitman Erling Haaland have been the two most prominent names rumoured to be on City’s radar.

Kane was heavily linked with a move to the Etihad last summer but no deal was done and the 28-year old remained with Tottenham Hotspur.

Halland has been the subject of transfer speculation for almost 18 months since bursting on to the scene with Borussia Dortmund and the Norwegian international team in 2020.

According to SkyBet, City are the current favourites to sign Haaland next month but a price of 12/1 suggests it far more likely that the striker will be staying with Dortmund.

Another name mentioned is Fiorentina striker Dusan Vlahovic who recently turned down a new contract with the Serie A side.

The Serbian international, 21, is a hot commodity and also has no shortage of reported suitors.