Young refugee killed in hotel fall ‘had been staying in Manchester’

The five-year-old boy has now been named as Mohammed Munib Majeedi.

<p>Police outside the Sheffield Metropolitan Hotel</p>

Police outside the Sheffield Metropolitan Hotel

A five-year-old Afghan refugee who tragically fell to his death from a hotel window in Sheffield had only just relocated to the city from Manchester, it is understood.

Mohammed Munib Majeedi, who is understood to have arrived in the UK with his family this summer, fell on to a car park behind the Sheffield Metropolitan hotel.

An Afghan man who was also staying at the Metropolitan told the PA new agency, like many refugees, the boy and his mother had landed at Birmingham Airport, quarantined in Manchester, and only arrived at the Sheffield hotel a few days ago.

The man, a former interpreter for the British in Afghanistan, added: “I was in my room. I heard a sound...

“His mother was in the room with him.

“She was screaming, ‘My son, my son.’

“When I came here (outside) I saw the ambulance and police.”

Witnesses said the boy’s father had worked in the British Embassy in Kabul.

The Refugee Council has called for a review of accommodation offered to those fleeing the Taliban following the tragedy.

Enver Solomon, chief executive of the Refugee Council, said: “This a terrible tragedy and our thoughts are with the family who have gone through so much trauma and suffering to reach the UK.

“It is vital the Home Office carry out an urgent investigation into what has happened so steps can be taken to quickly learn lessons.”

Coun Terry Fox, leader of Sheffield City Council, said: “I am absolutely heartbroken that a young boy has lost his life in this way.

“My deepest thoughts are with the family of little Mohammed, I can’t begin to imagine what they are going through. As a council we have been at the hotel to offer assistance and, in partnership with the police, will support the family in any way we possibly can.

“While details are still emerging and the police continue to investigate, it’s not appropriate for me to comment further, except to say that this is an incredibly sad time.”

A South Yorkshire police spokesman added: “His family have now formally identified him and they are being supported by our family liaison officers. We would ask that their privacy is respected at this time.

“Officers are appealing for anyone with information relating to the incident to come forward.”

Any witnesses, or anyone who has information, should call police on 101.