Manchester arena terror attack: Drone display to mark seventh anniversary cancelled amid amber weather warning

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
“It would be lovely to remember them in a positive light, rather than what happened to them."

The drone display planned as part of Manchester’s commemoration of the seven-year anniversary of the terrorist attack during the Ariana Grade concert has been cancelled due to bad weather.

However, the memorial service and minute silence will still take place at Victoria Station at 12pm. There is an amber weather warning in place for Greater Manchester today for heavy rain.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The drone tribute had been organised by Andrew Roussos, the father of eight-year-old Saffie-Rose – who was the youngest person to die in the attack – with support from Mayor Andy Burnham and other families. 

Tributes to the Manchester arena attack victims at Victoria station. Tributes to the Manchester arena attack victims at Victoria station.
Tributes to the Manchester arena attack victims at Victoria station. | ManchesterWorld

The drone display was due start at 22:19 and end at 22:31, the time the bomb went off and take place near Manchester Cathedral at the Glade of Light memorial, which was opened by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in 2022. 

Andrew Roussos had told the BBC: “"It's in danger of becoming just another church service and another minute's silence, which is important, but if you're not careful, you end up only remembering the attack. They were at a music gig, they were all vibrant lively people, a light show is more fitting with their personalities. It would be lovely to remember them in a positive light, rather than what happened to them."

The service and minute silence will be observed at Victoria Station, near the Soldiers’ Gate area, where people have laid flowers and tributes to the victims. It will take place at 12pm, led by the railway chaplain and organised by Northern. Another minute’s silence will also be observed at 10:31pm, the time the bomb went off.  

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Chris Jackson, regional director at Northern said: “On Monday, we will pay our respects once more to those who lost their lives in the attack on Manchester Arena. Our thoughts remain with everyone affected by the tragedy and especially with the families and friends of those who lost loved ones.”

In total, 22 people, including children, were killed on 22 May, 20217, when Salman Abedi detonated the suicide bomb. A further 237 people were injured.

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.