Frenkie De Jong continues to be the name most strongly linked with a move to Manchester United, and no wonder, after club CEO Richard Arnold admitted he is indeed a transfer target for the Red Devils.
Despite the window only entering its second full week, there’s already a mounting sense of trepidation among United fans over the lack of recruitment at Old Trafford.
A move for De Jong would immediately soothe those concerns, but reports are varied on whether a transfer will indeed be completed.
We’ve rounded up the latest stories surrounding the Dutch international’s future…
Man City monitoring situation
They state City are monitoring his situation with Barcelona willing to sell the former Ajax man, although no negotiations have begun between the clubs regarding a transfer.
Deportivo Mundo also report that Barca are interested in bringing Bernardo Silva to the Nou Camp, which could enhance City’s position in the De Jong race if they were willing to let their midfielder join the Catalan side.
Silva has told City of his ‘intention to leave’ and Pep Guardiola could have discussed a transfer with Barcelona representatives on Monday as he was at Nou Camp to announce an August charity game between the Premier League champions and Xavi’s men.
According to Deportivo Mundo, Silva would be keen on a move but no offer has been tabled.
De Jong’s potential wage at Old Trafford
United plan to increase their offer for De Jong to €80m (£69m), which is just shy of Barca’s €85m (£73m) valuation of the player, according to 90min.
The outlet also claimed he is Erik ten Hag’s first-choice target in the market and United are willing to make him the club’s third-highest earner behind Cristiano Ronaldo and David De Gea.
They add United are hoping to wrap up a deal for the midfielder before moving onto other targets.
Meanwhile, the Manchester Evening News report Ten Hag has outlined his five key targets for the window: De Jong, Christian Eriksen, a back-up goalkeeper and Ajax pair Jurrien Timber and Antony.
Romano & Arnold updates
Rarely does a major transfer update take place without journalist Fabrizio Romano getting involved, and he tweeted on Sunday to say United and Barcelona are still in direct contact regarding a transfer.
“Deal still on, his salary will be really huge next season - this is the main problem for Barca,” he wrote.
“MUFC €60m (£51.5m) plus €10m (£8.6m) bid turned down last week - Barca want €85m (£73m) fee.
Meanwhile, United CEO Arnold also confirmed the club are interested in signing De Jong during his impromptu meeting with fans at a Cheshire pub last weekend, with video footage released of the chat subsequently shared on social media.
“Money is not a consideration on who we want. The manager wants him [De Jong] and they have actually done the work. He’s a great player,” Arnold said.