How much will Man Utd and Man City make for reaching FA Cup semi finals? Tournament prize money breakdown
Erik ten Hag’s side take on Brighton and Hove Albion while Pep Guardiola’s team are up against Sheffield United at Wembley Stadium this weekend.
and live on Freeview channel 276
Manchester United and Manchester City take a break from Premier League action this weekend and head to the capital for their respective FA Cup semi final clashes.
Pep Guadiola’s side are first up as they play EFL Championship side Sheffield United, who are closing in on automatic promotion back to the top flight in their own league, on Saturday. The winner of that match will face either the Red Devils or fellow Premier League side Brighton & Hove Albion after Sunday’s second semi final.
As with all football competitions, it’s not only a place in the showpiece match at Wembley next month and the dream of eventually lifting the trophy that’s up for grabs but also the prize purse. For clubs as wealthy as City and United the prize money they earn from competing in the competition might seem modaste but it’s still a healthy cash boost per round.
How Much will Man City and Man Utd make for reaching FA Cup semi finals?
Manchester City and Manchester United, along with Sheffield United and Brighton & Hove Albion, will receive £500,000 or £1,000,000 each depending on if they are successful or not. The two losing semi finalists take home £500,000 and the two winning semi finalists receive £1,000,000.
FA Cup prize money - qualifying rounds
- Extra preliminary round winners (208) - £112 per team
- Extra preliminary round losers (208) - £375 per team
- Preliminary round winners (136) - £1444 per team
- Preliminary round losers (136) - £481 per team
- First round qualifying winners (112) - £2250 per team
- First round qualifying losers (112) - £750 per team
- Second round qualifying winners (80) - £3375 per team
- Second round qualifying losers (80) - £1125 per team
- Third round qualifying winners (40) - £5625 per team
- Third round qualifying losers (40) - £1875 per team
- Fourth round qualifying winners (32) - £9375 per team
- Fourth round qualifying losers (32) - £3125 per team
FA Cup prize money - First Round to Final
Here is a full breakdown of the FA Cup prize money for the 2022/23 season including dates and how many teams are involved at each stage throughout:
- First round winners (40) - £41,000 per team
- Second round winners (20) - £67,000 per team
- Third round winners (32) - £105,000 per team
- Fourth round winners (16) - £120,000 per team
- Fifth round winners (8) - £225,000 per team
- Quarter-final winners (4) - £450,000 per team
- Semi-final winners (2) - £1,000,000 per team
- Semi-final losers (2) - £500,000 per team
- FA Cup final winner (1) - £2,000,000 per team
- FA Cup final runners- up (1) - £1,000,000 per team
How many teams compete in the FA Cup each year?
A total of 732 teams entered the FA Cup at the start of the 2022/23 season. The first six rounds of the tournament are qualifiers for the First Round Proper.