Carabao Cup second round draw: When do Manchester City and Manchester United enter the competition?
The first round action in the EFL Cup is almost complete and the draw for the next stage has been made but several big clubs from the Premier League are noticeably absent.
The second round, which will see matches played on the week of August 23, has thrown up some eye-catching ties including Leeds United vs Barnsley in a Yorkshire derby as well as Norwich City vs Bournemouth with the side who finished bottom of the Premier League last season hosting one of the newly promoted clubs.
However, seven of the biggest names in English football were noticeably absent from the second round draw as their top-flight counterparts found out their opponents.
Why were Manchester City and Manchester United not in the Carabao Cup second round draw?
All 92 clubs from across the Premier League and English Football League will take part in the 2022/23 Carabao Cup but many will enter the competition at different stages.
The first round was made up of 70 out of the 92 teams taking part and featured:
- 24 clubs from EFL League Two
- 24 clubs from EFL League One
- 22 clubs from EFL Championship.:
The second round draw, which was made on Wednesday night (August 11), saw the 35 winners from the first round ties joined by:
- 2 clubs from EFL Championship
- 13 Premier League clubs (not involved in European competition)
That means that the remaining seven Premier League clubs who are competing in European football this season will enter the competition at the third round stage along with the 25 winners of the second round ties.
The seven clubs who will enter in round three are:
- Manchester City
- Manchester United
- Tottenham Hotspur
- West Ham United
When will the Carabao Cup third round draw be made?
The draw for the third round of the 2022/23 Carabao Cup, where the seven Premier League sides not competing in European football will enter, will likely be made the same week as the second round ties.
Second-round ties are due to be played on the week of August 23.
Will the Carabao Cup third round draw be regionalised?
The third round draw of the 2022/23 Carabao Cup will not be regionalised.
Only the first and second round draws of the competition are divided into the Northern section and the Southern Section
Carabao Cup second round draw
Here is the full draw for the second round of the 2022/23 Carabao Cup:
- Bolton Wanderers v Aston Villa
- Derby County v West Bromwich Albion or Sheffield United
- Wolverhampton Wanderers v Preston North End
- Leeds United v Barnsley
- Fleetwood Town v Everton
- Sheffield Wednesday v Rochdale
- Tranmere Rovers v Newcastle United
- Rotherham United v Morecambe
- Barrow v Lincoln City
- Stockport County v Leicester City
- Bradford City v Blackburn Rovers
- Grimsby Town v Nottingham Forest
- Shrewsbury Town v Burnley
- Stevenage v Peterborough United
- Norwich City v AFC Bournemouth
- Newport County v Portsmouth
- Oxford United v Crystal Palace
- Watford v Milton Keynes Dons
- Colchester United v Brentford
- Wycombe Wanderers v Bristol City
- Walsall v Charlton Athletic
- Crawley Town v Fulham
- Cambridge United v Southampton
- Gillingham v Exeter City
- Forest Green Rovers v Brighton & Hove Albion