Swinton man jailed for 15 years after cornering man in ginnel in Morecambe and shooting him in the face

The victim, in his 20s, leapt over a garden fence but could not escape the pair.

Shocking footage shows the moment two armed men corner a victim in a ginnel - before shooting him in the face. The chilling video shows balaclava-clad Joshua Giles, 21, and Levi McCandlish, 27, from Swinton, target their victim with an improvised firearm, known as a ‘slam gun.’

The victim, in his 20s, leapt over a garden fence but could not escape the pair, who blasted him in the face from close-range with the weapon. The pair have been sentenced for a total of almost 30 years in prison for shooting the victim. Lancashire Police were called to an alleyway in Morecambe at around 5.55pm on 15 November, 2021 after of a reports of a suspected firearms discharge.

Emergency services found the victim and took him to hospital where he received treatment for life-changing facial injuries. Police launched an investigation and recovered the shocking CCTV footage from the scene.

A number of people were later arrested by police in connection with the shooting. McCandlish, of Swinton, and Giles, of Morecambe, were then both charged with attempted murder. A 13-year-old boy was charged with wounding and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life but it was later dismissed.

Giles and McCandlish later pleaded guilty at Preston Crown Court to Section 18 grievous bodily harm and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.

Joshua Giles and Levi McCandlish. Credit: police/ SWNS

McCandlish was jailed for 15 years and eight months, with a five-year extended licence. Giles was handed a 13 year and six-month prison sentence, with a five-year extended licence.

Detective Chief Inspector James Edmonds said: “This was an absolutely horrific attack which left the local community shocked and appalled.

“It is remarkable the victim was not killed as a consequence of this incident. As part of a premeditated plan, Giles and McCandlish attacked the man with a ‘slam gun’, an improvised firearm.

“The victim was left with serious facial injuries and had to be placed in a medically induced coma as part of his treatment.

“After the weight of evidence was put to McCandlish and Giles, they entered guilty pleas and we welcome the sentences handed down at court.

“Their actions were deliberate and callous. The motivation for the attack has never been fully understood and neither McCandlish or Giles have offered any explanation as to why they attacked the victim.

“He suffered serious facial injuries and is continuing his recovery. It is clear the two adults paid no thought to the consequences of their actions and the impact this would also have on the 13-year-old boy they had brought along.”