Train operators in Greater Manchester are asking people not to travel on Friday if they can avoid it, as Storm Eunice is expected to affect a string of rail services.
A tree has blocked the line between Manchester Piccadilly and Chester at Greenbank on Friday afternoon, meaning trains are unable to run between Manchester Piccadilly and Chester via Northwich today.
Northern says trains across the Northern network will be “cancelled, amended or revised” and replacement buses will not be provided.
Northern also warned services may be reduced or cancelled on the following routes in both directions:
- Blackpool North and Manchester Airport via Bolton
- Liverpool Lime Street and Manchester Airport
- Wigan North Western and Liverpool
- Manchester Piccadilly and Hadfield
- Manchester Piccadilly and Hazel Grove
- Leeds and Morecambe
- Manchester Piccadilly and New Mills Central
- Leeds and Manchester Piccadilly via Rochdale
- Leeds and Skipton / Ilkley / Bradford Forster Square
- Southport and Alderley Edge
- Carlisle and Newcastle
Northern says pre-bought tickets for Friday will be valid for travel from Saturday to Monday instead.
Transpennine Express is also advising of all but essential travel on Friday, and to check in advance of leaving home.
It said: “Emergency speed restrictions will be in place across all routes and TransPennine Express will be operating a minimal service.”
TPE says pre bought tickets for Friday can be used on Saturday or you can apply for a refund.
Avanti is also advising against travel, as Friday tickets can be used on Saturday, and has cut services to one every two hours on the following routes on Friday:
- Manchester Piccadilly - Rugby
- Liverpool Lime Street - Crewe
- Rugby - Preston via Birmingham New Street
- Preston - Rugby
- Glasgow Central - Preston
On Greater Manchester’s tram network, TFGM is reporting the possibility of disruption as the weather front moves in, but had not reported any significant changes as of 2pm on Friday. Passengers are advising to check in advance before making essential travel.
For your local weather forecast for today see here.