Dylan Keelan murder: Klayton Skelly jailed for 17 years for fatal stabbing of 20-year-old in Tameside

Skelly was just 17 when he fatally stabbed Dylan on Cheetham Hill Road in Dukinfield in February 2022.

A teenager has been jailed for 17 years for the murder of Dylan Keelan in Tameside.

Klayton Skelly, 18, was given the custodial sentence at Manchester Crown Court on Thursday (27 October) after he admitted fatally stabbing 20-year-old Dylan on Cheetham Hill Road in Dukinfield in February 2022.

Since her son was killed Dylan’s mum Nicola Wardle has spoken out about knife crime and urged parents to speak to their children about the dangers of carrying blades. After securing Skelly’s conviction Greater Manchester Police (GMP) paid tribute to her efforts to ensure Dylan’s death is not in vain and their ongoing work to reduce knife crime in the city-region.

What happened to Dylan Keelan and what has the court done?

The prosecution told the court that Skelly fatally stabbed Dylan on Cheetham Hill Road in the Dukinfield area on Friday 4 February 2022.

Officers identified Skelly, who was 17 at the time, as a suspect less than 40 minutes after the initial 999 call was made to GMP. The pressure of a three-day manhunt led him to hand himself in at his local police station.

Klayton Skelly, who has been jailed for 17 years after admitting murdering Dylan Keelan

On Thursday (27 October) a judge at Manchester Crown Court decided Skelly should serve 17 years behind bars after he pleaded guilty to the murder of Dylan, who was 20 when he was killed.

What was said afterwards?

Detective Inspector Lee Shaw, of GMP’s Major Incident Team, said: “The thoughts of everyone on the investigation team remain with Dylan’s loved ones. No sentence could fix their broken hearts but it is our hope that today’s result gives them a sense of justice and closure.

“Across Greater Manchester, officers are working hard to fight, prevent and reduce knife crime. With Dylan’s mum’s blessing, we have released body worn video audio from the night of his death to show the reality of responding to a stabbing and to encourage parents and guardians to talk to young people about the consequences – for victims, offenders and their loved ones.

“I would like to use this opportunity to thank the members of the public and first responders who did everything they could to save Dylan’s life. Also, the officers who were first on scene and assisted detectives with bringing this case to court and securing this outcome.”