One of the biggest half-marathons in the UK calendar is fast approaching, with the Great Manchester Run just days away.
It’s set to be a busy day in Manchester, with thousands of people lining the streets to cheer on those undertaking the half-marathon and 10K run, before over 50,000 people will head to the Etihad Stadium to watch Manchester City take on Aston Villa.
With the streets of Manchester set to be busier than ever, people taking part in the marathon are advised to travel on Saturday if at all possible.
When is the Great Manchester Run?
The Great Manchester Run, including the 10K run, is set to get underway on Sunday, 22 May.
What are the timings during the day?
Like most half-marathons of this magnitude, there are staggered start times for certain groups.
- 7:30am - Event site and information point opens
- 8am - Blue and red wave assembly via Charlotte Street
- 8:30am - Blue and red wave start
- 9:02am - Elite wheelchair start
- 10:45am - Orange and white wave 10K assembly via Charlotte Street
- 11:15am - Elite women start
- 11:30am - Elite men start
- 11:30am - Orange wave 10K starts
- 11:47am - White wave 10K starts
- 12:05pm - Green and pink 10K assembly point. Green via Princess Street, Pink via Charlotte Street
- 12:30pm - Green wave 10K starts
- 12:47pm - Pink wave starts
What do you get before the event?
According to the official Great Manchester Run website, before the event you get:
- Your personal run pack sent to you in the post, with your run number and timing chip
- Access to training plans to keep you on track
- Exclusive offers and competitions from our partners and sponsors
- Support and advice all the way up to event day
- Regular emails keeping you motivated and moving
- A huge supportive and inclusive social community on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to help you on your running journey
What do you get during the event?
According to the official Great Manchester Run website, on event day you get:
- Access to the free Great Run app to allow your loved ones to track your progress along the route
- Access to the Great Run information point for any last minute queries (or safety pins)
- Closed roads offering a safe running environment
- Food and drink options to refuel
- A shiny new medal, an exclusive finishers t-shirt plus a finisher’s bag filled with goodies (2022 pictured above)
- Plenty of medical support all around their routes should you ever need any assistance
- A huge round of applause as you cross the finish
What do you get after the event?
According to the official Great Manchester Run website, after the event you get:
- Official event day photos available to view and purchase a couple of days after the event.
- Your official result ready shortly after you cross the finish line
- Runners Rewards – access to special offers for participants, from their partners and sponsors as a well done.
How do I register for the Great Manchester Run 2023?
The date for the Great Manchester Run in 2023 has not yet been announced, but will be in due course.
Despite this, you can still register for the event.
Simply go on the active website, and click the bit of text that is underlined, that reads ‘register now’ and you will be able to register for next year.