‘New verbal bid’ - Fabrizio Romano confirms latest on Man Utd target who is ‘prepared to accept’ move
and live on Freeview channel 276
Manchester United are to push ahead with an improved ‘verbal’ bid for Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana after seeing a £39m offer rejected, according to reports.
The Guardian reports United are ‘stepping up their intent’ to sign the player with transfer expert Fabrizio Romano claiming the club are pushing ahead with a second bid for the player after their first offer was knocked back.
Onana is said to want a move to United if the clubs can come to an agreement over a fee. Sky Sports report Inter value the goalkeeper at £51m, meaning the clubs are around £12m apart with their initial valuations.
There is said to be a ‘desire’ from all parties involved to complete a deal ahead of Onana’s proposed return to Inter Milan’s pre-season training on July 13.
The 27-year-old Cameroon international joined Ajax in 2015 and made 214 appearances during a seven-and-a-half year spell in the Netherlands.
Five of those years were spent under Erik ten Hag, with the duo leaving the club last summer as Ten Hag made the switch to Old Trafford while Onana signed a five-year deal at Inter. Reports earlier this week claimed the deal to bring Onana to United is being ‘driven’ by Ten Hag.
United’s interest in Onana comes amid uncertainty over David De Gea’s future at the club. The Spaniard’s deal at the club expired last month and no new deal has been confirmed.
De Gea has been linked with a move to Saudi Arabia, but Turkish outlet Fotomac has claimed Fenerbahçe are prepared to make an offer to the player. The goalkeeper could still remain at Old Trafford if a new deal is signed but he would face a tough battle for the number one spot if a transfer for Onana is completed.