Manchester United’s narrow 1-0 FA Cup win over Aston Villa on Monday night was further indication the Red Devils need enforcement in midfield.
Ralf Rangnick’s side have been linked with several midfielders so far in the January transfer window and, despite the plethora of rumours, the only moves this month have seen players leaving on loan, with defenders Axel Tuanzebe, Ethan Laird and Teden Mengi making short-term moves in the last 10 days.
But there is still plenty of hope that United will bring in some players before the mid-season window closes at the end of the month.
One player who had been linked with an exit was Edison Cavani, however it would now appear that Rangnick will be able to rely on the Uruguayan until at least the end of the season.
The Red Devils have also been linked with moves for Brighton & Hove Albion’s Yves Bissouma, as well as Borussia Monchengladbach’s Denis Zakaria.
Here is all the latest on the transfer news from Manchester United.
Will Edinson Cavani stay?
It has recently been reported that after ‘showdown talks’ with Rangnick, the 34-year-old striker looks set to remain with the club until his contract runs out in the summer.
The Mirror has stated that “Cavani has declared his dedication to Manchester United for the remainder of the campaign after talks with Ralf Rangnick.”
The striker had been linked with an early exit from Old Trafford despite signing a one-year extension in the summer.
Speaking last week, Rangnick said: “I told [Cavani] that if it was up to me I would want him to stay and I had a conversation with him [on Thursday].
“He came to my office and we spoke for almost half an hour and he told me that he will definitely stay, he will want to stay until the end of the season. Not only because I told him that he should stay or has to stay, but he did it on his own behalf.
“If he should play from the start, he’s available and he’s happy to play. Even if he’s not playing, he will be trying to be the best possible role model for the other players.”
Have Manchester United made a bid for Yves Bissouma?
United have been linked with a defensive midfielder this window and the Manchester Evening News are reporting that while Bissouma’s name has been mentioned repeatedly with a move to Old Trafford, the Red Devils are yet to make any bid for the Malian, who is wanted by a number of other clubs.
Brighton boss Graham Potter has said “things could happen” in relation to Bissouma’s future and despite impressing United he is said to also be attracting the attention of Liverpool.
When asked about the reports regarding Bissouma’s move, Potter replied: “We are comfortable with where we are at, we know the situation. From my perspective, I will just try to help him when he comes back from the AFCON and help him get back to his best. When he does that, he is a top player. We want to keep all our players but I also understand the way the market is and the way football is.”
Will Manchester United make a bid for Denis Zakaria?
Italian sports journalist Fabrizio Romano has taken to twitter to address speculation United have made a bid for Zakaria.
The 13-time Premier League champions are now able to enter pre-contract negotiations with the 25-year-old and may look to test Gladbach’s resole by bringing him in during the January window.
Zakaria does not wish to sign an extension with his current employers, a fact the German side confirmed recently, and may be willing to sell their midfielder if the right offer were to come, rather than lose him for nothing in the summer.
Romano has claimed that United are yet to act on any interest but says Gladbach could be willing to accept an offer of £25million for one of the league’s highest-rated midfielders.
The journalist has also suggested that United would not be the only team after the Swiss player as Liverpool, Bayern Munich, Juventus and Barcelona have all reportedly been linked with making a bid for Zakaria.