Three Man City youngsters spotted in training ahead of Champions League clash with Sevilla

Kalvin Phillips also took part in the session with his Manchester City team-mates.

Three Manchester City youngsters - Jadel Katongo, Adedire Mebude and Carlos Borges - were involved in the senior training ahead of Wednesday’s Champions League clash with Sevilla.

The Spanish side travel to the Etihad for a dead rubber and know they can’t progress to the knockout stages even if they win, while City have already secured top spot in the group. Therefore, there could be several fringe players involved for the Blues on Wednesday, something Pep Guardiola hinted at in his pre-match press conference.

“I have to see the training session and see the players,” said the Catalan. “But of course, the players who are not playing regularly are going to play. Let me see the training session and tomorrow I will see.”

With that in mind, the aforementioned trio trained with the first team on Tuesday and could be handed their senior debuts. Other youngsters seen during the open session included Josh Wilson-Esbrand, Rico Lewis and Cole Palmer who have previously played for the first team this term.

Another notable participant was Kalvin Phillips. Guardiola confirmed just a few hours prior that the former Leeds United man is back in training but ‘not contact yet’. Phillips has played just 14 minutes since joining the club in the summer due to an ongoing shoulder injury that required surgery earlier this season.

Erling Haaland and Kyle Walker were the only first-team stars who weren’t involved in training, as Guardiola had previously confirmed would be the case. The City manager claimed in his press conference that he remains ‘hopeful’ Haaland will be back in time for the clash with Fulham on Saturday, while he also explained Walker is still recovering  from a groin operation. Despite that, Guardiola said it is ‘likely’ both Walker and Phillips can make England’s World Cup squad.