The register assigns each heritage site with a condition level and a priority category. The condition level has four grades: “good”, “fair”, “poor” and “very bad”. Sites with “poor” or “very bad” are considered to be at risk of irreparable deterioration.
Meanwhile, the priority category ranges from A to F. If a building has a priority of A, then it is in serious need of restoration with no immediate plans in place. However, if a site has an F grade, it means that it is in the process of being restored.
Manchester is one of the places with heritage sites at risk. Among them is Wythenshawe Hall, which suffered major damage in 2016 as a result of an arson attack. It has since been repaired, but the building remains in “poor” condition, according to the register.
Another site close to Manchester on the register is the Church of St. Nicholas in Kingsway. It also has a poor condition, but is considered to be in far greater danger of falling into disrepair than Wythenshawe Hall. As such, it has been given a priority grade of A.
Full list of heritage sites at risk in Manchester and Greater Manchester
- Wythenshawe Hall, Wythenshawe Park
- Baguley Hall, Hall Lane, Manchester
- Heaton Hall, Heaton Park, Crumpsall
- Victoria Baths, Hathersage Road, Longsight
- Police and Fire Station, London Road, Manchester
- Church of St. Nicholas, Kingsway, Burnage
- Roman Catholic Church of the Holy Name of Jesus, Oxford Road, Chorlton on Medlock
- Church of Emmanuel, Barlow Moor Road, Didsbury
- Synagogue of Withington Congregation of Spanish and Portuguese Jews, Old Lansdowne Road, Didsbury
- St. Aidan United Reform Church, Palatine Road, Didsbury
- Brookfield Unitarian Church, Hyde Road, Gorton
- Church of St. John the Evangelist, Waterloo Road, Manchester
- Church of St. Ann, St. Ann Street, Manchester City Centre
- Church of All Saints, Old Church Street, Newton Heath
- Roman Catholic Church of St. Chad and Presbytery, Cheetham Hill Road Strangeways
- Church of English Martyrs, Alexandra Road South, Whaley Range
Full list of heritage sites at risk in England
If you’d like to see the full list of sites included on the Heritage at Risk register 2022, visit the Historic England website.