Second suspect arrested and fifteen dogs seized after dad of five mauled to death

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
Fifteen dogs have been seized and two arrests have been made after a dad of five was mauled to death

A second suspect has been arrested and fifteen dogs seized after a dad of five was mauled to death. Dad of five Jonathan Hogg, 37, was mauled to death in Leigh, Greater Manchester on Thursday (May 18).

A 24-year-old man was arrested on Friday on suspicion of being in charge of a dangerously out-of-control dog causing injury resulting in death. A second arrest was made on Friday evening (May 19) of a 22-year-old woman on suspicion of money laundering.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Detective Chief Inspector John Davies said: “GMP officers searched two houses and seized 15 dogs (six adults and nine puppies) believed to be the same breed as attacked Jonathan. These dogs are now being cared for at a specialist facility. Items totalling a value of £37,500 believed to be the result of criminal proceeds have been seized."

He added: "Dangerous dogs do not have a place in our communities, and we want to reassure the public that we are doing everything in our power to keep people safe. If you think someone has or is breeding dogs which endanger the public, please report it online by calling 101."

Police said that armed officers used “every available tactic to subdue” the dog before it was shot because it posed a “significant risk” to the public. Armed officers attended and killed the dog due to the “significant risk” it posed.

Family tribute

In a tribute released after Mr Hogg died in the early hours of Friday, his family said: "Jonathan was a well-loved, sensitive, and kind person who will never know how loved and appreciated he was by everyone who knew him. We have been inundated with messages of support and we ask for privacy at this time to come to terms with our loss."

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Mr Hogg was affectionately known as Oggy and did not own the American Bully XL. It is believed he might have been looking after it for a friend.

On Thursday night, the day before the arrests were made, he was found with horrific head and neck injuries and was rushed to hospital. He died in the early hours of this morning (Saturday, May 20), Greater Manchester Police has confirmed.

His older brother Ian Hogg said: “He was my little brother and I loved him to bits. He was one in a million – he’d do anything for anybody. He was bubbly and loud – the loudest person you ever met. His kids are in bits. I don’t know what we’re going to do.

“I was in the hospital from 11pm to 5am. It was just horrific, I can’t get it out of my head, but the doctors and nurses did everything they could. They were amazing.”