BBC iPlayer has released its list of most-watched programmes and episodes across 2022. The streaming site broke seven billion streams for the first time and recorded the best quarter and best month.
BBC saw a record-breaking year in viewership with sporting events like the Commonwealth games, Wimbledon, and the World Cup leading the way. New dramas like The Tourist, SAS Rogue Heroes, and This is Going to Hurt dominated the most-watched list as well.
Despite the growing popularity of international streaming sites, EastEnders recorded its best year to date with the series being streamed 366 million times across the year. However, it was fan favourites that stood out with Doctor Who, Peaky Blinders and Waterloo Road closely following the World Cup.
Director of BBC iPlayer Dan McGolpin says: “2022 saw huge growth for BBC iPlayer, seven billion streams is double where we were a few years ago. Alongside the big events like the World Cup and the outstanding coverage of the state funeral for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, people arrived in their millions to watch an array of big drama boxsets including the final series of Peaky Blinders and a large number of brand new series such as The Tourist, The Responder and SAS Rogue Heroes.
“Over the last year we’ve added more choice than ever before in every genre, with plenty more in store for 2023.”
BBC iPlayer most-watched TV programmes of 2022
- FIFA World Cup - 92,267,000
- Doctor Who - 56,100,000
- Peaky Blinders - 55,609,000
- Commonwealth Games - 52,781,000
- Waterloo Road (2006-15) - 46,380,000
- Death in Paradise - 46,091,000
- Strictly Come Dancing - 44,909,000
- Silent Witness - 44,665,000
- Wimbledon - 42,678,000
- Match of the Day - 40,451,000
BBC iPlayer most-watched TV episodes of 2022
- Peaky Blinders: Series 6 - “Black Day” - 6,925,000
- The Tourist: “Episode 1” - 6,428,000
- The Responder: “Episode 1” - 6,164,000
- FIFA World Cup 2022: England v Iran - 5,592,000
- SAS Rogue Heroes: “Episode 1” - 5,526,000
- The State Funeral of HM Queen Elizabeth II London - 5,043,000
- Inside Man: “Episode 1” - 5,028,000
- The Apprentice: “Series 16 “Cruise Ship” - 4,889,000
- Sherwood: “Episode 1” - 4,855,000
- This Is Going To Hurt: “Episode 1” - 4,753,000