Events which were due to take place in Greater Manchester this weekend have been cancelled following the death of Queen Elizabeth II.
The death of the country’s longest-reigning monarch on Thursday (8 September) at the age of 96 has left arts,culture and sporting organisations working out what the best way to pay their respects are.
Some events which were scheduled for the city-region this weekend were cancelled immediately on the news of the royal death, while organisers of others were holding meetings on Friday morning (9 September) to decide what to do.
Which events in Greater Manchester have been cancelled?
Manchester Cathedral had been scheduled to host a major gin and rum festival on Friday and Saturday (9 and 10 September).
That was axed as soon as the news broke as the cathedral is being used as a focal point for remembrance during the 10 days of mourning, with books of condolence set up in the building for people to sign.
Organisers of the festival said it is working to secure an alternative date and customers have been notified, before extending its condolences to the royal family.
The Wigan Diggers Festival, which remembers the life of radical 17th century thinker Gerrard Winstanley, will also not be going ahead as the area in the middle of the town where it takes place is also being used for official acts of mourning and remembrance.
Wigan Council took the decision that public events in the borough would not be going ahead at this time.
Chorlton Pride has also announced it will postpone its planned events this weekend.
Manchester City Council has also announced that the planned reopening of Wythenshawe Hall to the public on Saturday (10 September) following a multi-million-pound refurbishment of the listed building has been cancelled.
We Invented The Weekend, a huge celebration of the concept of free time and leisure which was due to take place at Salford Quays, has also been postponed.
However, despite the extensive programme that was planned now having to await another date, there will be an opportunity for people to come together and mark this moment of national significance.
On both Saturday and Sunday the BBC Philharmonic will be playing the national anthem in the MediaCity Piazza before a minute’s silence is held and The Weekend Orchestra musicians will be playing an original piece of music. This will take place at midday on both days.
The Lowry will also have family activities and performances while street food traders, market stalls, and existing food and drink operators will be open.
A book of condolences will be available and the event will also show the King’s Accession on the big screen at MediaCity.
Meanwhile, many local theatres and arts venues posted messages of condolence but have not yet confirmed if scheduled weekend events will go ahead at time of writing.
What is happening across the country?
Nationally a number of major events have been cancelled due to the death of the Queen.
The BBC Proms announced the final concerts in its series, including the popular Last Night of the Proms, have been cancelled as a mark of respect.
Theatres will be continuing but will be observing acts of remembrance such as playing the national anthem or a period of silence.
Football fixtures, Test cricket matches, golf tournaments and horse racing meetings have also been postponed, though there will be some sport taking place over the weekend.
Government guidance released on Friday morning said there is no obligation for events to be cancelled during the official mourning period and it is up to individual organisations to decide what they want to do.