Oldham assault: five people charged over incident videoed and shared online

A video circulating on social media caused a huge amount of concern in the town.

Five young people have been charged by police in relation to an assault on a man in Oldham which was filmed and shared online.

The five suspects are all male and cannot be named as they are aged under 18, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said.

They have all been charged with section 18 offences of causing grievous bodily harm with intent, GMP said on Friday (12 August).

This is in relation to an attack on a 20-year-old man in an alleyway off Featherstall Road North on 21 June, police added.

No date has so far been given for them to appear in court.

GMP say the arrests follow a thorough investigation into the assault, which sparked alarm when footage was circulated online. Police also had to apologise as it was widely believed the force had not acted quickly enough immediately after the attack.

Advertisement

Police said a woman has also been ruled out as a suspect and has been assisting officers with the investigation.

Several incidents of disorder have occurred in Oldham this year and these are believed to have been sparked by a video of the assault being shared on the internet, GMP said.

What has been said about the arrests and the investigation?

Chief Superintendent Chris Bowen, from GMP’s Oldham district, said: “This was a particularly vicious attack and I hope the charges today go some way to reassure the community of Oldham that Greater Manchester Police will not tolerate this kind of behaviour.

“A young male was violently assaulted, and it understandably upset and disturbed many here in Oldham. Safety remains our number one priority and we will continue to work towards making Oldham a safer place to live and work together.

“I would like to reassure the people in Oldham that our investigation is progressing at a rapid pace and our aim above all is to bring those responsible to justice.”

Advertisement

Oldham Council chiefs have also spoken about the arrests being made.

The local authority’s leader Coun Amanda Chadderton said: “I’m glad to see that the police investigation into this horrific incident is progressing, and has reached this important stage.

“I also know that there has been significant concern in the local community, and would encourage people to continue to engage with us, and with police, as they work to bring those responsible to justice.”