New survey shows First Bus Manchester drivers have used food banks and received abuse
First Bus Manchester drivers bring to an end a latest round of strike action this week
and live on Freeview channel 276
A survey of nearly 200 striking First Bus Manchester workers has revealed some shocking findings. The survey found that 16% of staff surveyed said that they had been physically abused.
15% of those surveyed have skipped meals, whilst just under 5% said they have had to use food banks.
Two thirds of the drivers surveyed said they had been verbally abused at work. Nearly a quarter said they never have adequate access to a toilet, while 22 per cent said they do ‘some of the time’ and 52 per cent said ‘occasionally’
Other results from the survey showed that Around a third (31%) work between 40 and 50 hours a week, while 14 per cent work over 50 hours. Working long hours has impacted the drivers’ physical health (30%), mental health (30%) and relationships and family life (36%).
Over 80% reported feeling very tired, with 74% having made errors while driving as a result. A fifth of drivers have had to stop driving because of excessive tiredness.
Over 360 First Bus Manchester drivers have been on strike since the beginning of July. Strike dates will continue through August with action taking place on August 10, 11, 15, 16, 18, 21, 23 and 25.
Unite regional officer Colin Hayden said: “Our members do a tough job for First and deserve a fair pay rise. The company is responsible for the disruption being caused to passengers because it is refusing to put forward a reasonable offer despite its massive profits. First needs to come back to the negotiating table with a deal our members will accept.”