A new Aldi supermarket in North Manchester has been given the green light.
The discount foodstore worth £5m is set to be built in Moston on the site of the Imperial Lounge Indian Restaurant which is now due to be demolished.
Many residents living near the Victoria Avenue East site have welcomed the prospect of a new store opening, although some concerns have been raised.
Local councillors say a new Aldi will increase ‘consumer choice’ in the area.
Speaking on behalf of the retailer at a planning committee meeting on Thursday (22 September), Aldi property director Adam Robson said the supermarket, which is due to open in 18 months, will benefit residents.
He said: “This is unfortunately one of the more disadvantaged wards in Manchester.
“The introduction of an Aldi discount foodstore in a prominent accessible location for the community will be of considerable benefit for the residents seeking access to affordable fresh produce and healthy food.
“This is particularly relevant when household budgets are under pressure as a consequence of the cost of living crisis.”
‘Blight on the area’
Mr Robson said the site has become a ‘blight’ on the area and told councillors that the new supermarket is a ‘vote of confidence’ for the local economy.
The opening of the supermarket is expected to create up to 50 new jobs in the store as well as construction jobs, which local people will first in the queue for.
Charlestown councillor Hannah Priest disagreed that the site had become a ‘blight’ on the area but said there had been issues with anti-social behaviour.
She shared concerns expressed by residents including the impact of noise from construction and deliveries once the store is open as well as lighting.
But she said local councillors are confident these issues have been addressed.
Responding to ‘negative comments’ about a new Aldi opening in such close proximity to a Tesco, located down the road in Blackley, the Labour councillor told the committee that people are looking forward to having more choice.
She said: “The Tesco in Blackley is not, for the majority of our residents, a comfortable walking distance from the proposed site, nor is there are regular and reliable bus route.
“Many of our residents currently travel to the supermarket in taxis, and a lot of the communication that we’ve had has given an indication that people – particularly in the six tower blocks that neighbour the site – are looking to walking to the supermarket.”
One objector spoke on behalf of the property management agent representing residents in the East Gate apartments at the meeting.
The chairman of the committee said her questions would be addressed.