Loading...

Katie Kenyon: what happened to missing Burnley woman - as body found and Andrew Burnfield charged with murder

Lancashire Police said a woman matching Katie’s description was spotted getting into a van.

A body found in the search for missing Burnley woman Katie Kenyon has been identified as the 33 year-old.

Officers made the discovery on the night of Friday, 29 April in an area of the Forest of Bowland after receiving new information about a location where Katie could be.

Sign up to our ManchesterWorld Today newsletter

Katie went missing last week, but detectives are now continuing the search on the basis that she is no longer alive.

Andrew Burfield, 50, of Todmorden Road, Burnley, appeared before Blackburn magistrates on 28 April and was remanded to appear at Preston Crown Court on 29 April

Where was Katie last seen?

Katie had been missing since Friday, 22 April.

A woman matching her description was seen getting into a van at 9.30am on 22 April.

The van has been described as a silver Transit van with the registration number MT57 FLC.

Lancashire Police are appealing for witnesses to come forward who may have any information.

On Twitter, the police force issued a statement on Katie’s disappearance and called on any possible witnesses to come forward.

A spokesperson said: “Have you seen Katie Kenyon? We need help to find her after she went missing on Friday.

“If you have information please contact us. You can call 101, go to the Major Incident Public Portal https://orlo.uk/33FyY or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”

Katie Kenyon

Have there been any arrests?

Lancashire Police arrested a man in connection with the case, a 50-year-old from Burnley.

On 26 April, he was further arrested on suspicion of murder.

What have the police said about the case?

A senior member of Lancashire Police has said that the investiagtors believe the body found is that of Katie Kenyon

Det Supt Gary Brooks, head of Lancashire’s Force Major Investigation Unit, said: “Following extensive police enquiries and after a number of days of searching I can now sadly confirm that we have found a body and at this time we believe it to be that of Katie Kenyon. Katie’s family have been told and my heart goes out to them at this time. We have specially trained officers supporting them at this difficult time.

“I would like to thank the public and the media for all the help they have given us during what has been a protracted, complex and very emotive search and I would also like to thank both the partner agencies and all of the police officers and staff who have been involved in the search for Katie. While this is not the conclusion to those searches any of us would have wished for I know the family appreciate those efforts.

“Once again, my thoughts today are with Katie’s family and all of her loved ones.”

Andrew Burfield, 50, of Todmorden Road, Burnley will face trial in November.

Has a fundraiser been set up?

Following the news of a body being found in the search for Katie, her friends and family started a fundraising page to raise money to cover the cost of Katie’s funeral.

At the time of writing, over £17,000 had been raised.

To donate to the fundrasier, visit the Just Giving page.